English Meetups

A few tips for teaching English to beginners

Teaching beginners can be stressful; Especially when a group is monolingual and you do not know anything about their language, or it is a multilingual group and the only common English language that you have the task of teaching. However, not only is it possible to teach beginners only in English, but it can also be one of the most lucrative training plans. Here are seven tips for teaching English to beginners to help you succeed in setting your learners on track.

Share This Post

1. Keep instructions clear and simple

It can be tempting to speak formally and politely to a student class, especially those you have just met. After all, no one likes to be rude. However, a student with poor English may not be able to understand your formal speech. “Well, then now what I love you all do,  is just to get up for a moment and come to the front of the class. Oh, and please bring your book. Can we all just do that? “

Instead, make the instructions completely clear by using the fewest words and pointing if possible, and divide the set of instructions into smaller units. If you want to be polite, do “please” and “thank you”. “Everyone – please pick up your book. Please stand, come here, please thank you.”

2. Let them listen first

Most likely, your students want to start speaking exercises almost from the beginning. However, it does take some time for a person’s ear to adjust to the sound of a new language, and not everyone is very interested in it. Do not force students to speak before students have a great opportunity to hear you speak (this does not mean that you are just making noise in front of the class – with more beginners than others, you really have to Consider and rate your language accordingly)

3. Sculpture with drills

Beginners need a lot of repetition and digging, especially when it comes to the sounds of their new language. Repeating similar sentences over and over may seem tedious, but it is necessary. When practicing a new sentence, try digging again, dividing the sentence into divisible units, and then rebuild it, working backwards from the end of the sentence to the beginning. This helps to ensure that your tone is natural and that you receive the connected speech elements correctly. For example, “Would you like a cup of tea?” As follows:

Tea> A cup of tea> Like a> Like a cup of tea> Do you like> Do you like a cup of tea?

4. Establish the language of the class from the beginning

Classroom language – can you speak more slowly? What should we do? I do not understand what it means? How do you say به in English? It is usually accompanied by education for children, but it also really helps beginner adults. No matter how friendly and relaxed you create your classroom atmosphere, learning a new language can still be daunting, especially when you feel you are not fully following what is happening, or you may be asked to say something, What you do not do Be prepared to say. that it is much better to equip students early with the language of the class, which helps them to master the lesson easily.

5 – Avoid transliteration

If students are unable to use simple, irregular, or frequency verb terms, it is of no use if they are unable to use real structures or words. Do not tell them how to say something: show them. Provide as much background as you can (video requests work well). Also, make sure they understand by asking questions that test their comprehension – never “Do you understand?” As a) Many people are reluctant to let go of what they did not understand and instead pretend to understand. And b) a student may think he or she has not actually understood.

6. Do not forget that your students are fluent in their language (s)

This may sound trivial, but when listening to someone who speaks broken English, it is easy to forget that there is a person with frozen thoughts behind mistakes and mispronunciation, no doubt speaking in their first language, Does, tries to express their opinions or ideas

As teachers, we must not only be patient and proactive listeners, but we must also be aware of the reasons that arise when filling the gap in perfectly perfect communication, but we must also be vigilant Also, instead of humiliating our language, we should rate it carefully so that it can be understood while maintaining its naturalness, rhythm, and mood, and at the same time making sure that as much as possible, we In fact, we talk to our students and listen to what they have to say. After all, even from the very first lessons, “A” in the alphabet and “am” from “being” are the goal of communication.

7. Be well prepared, be very prepared, get them to keep talking

Encourage, even if training beginners leads to slow progress and recycling and repetition several times, it does not mean recycling similar activities, especially not during one lesson. Make sure you have a wide range of activities to use, and do not enter the classroom without first discussing how to introduce the new language, how to check that students understand it, how to practice it, and how to carefully review it.Remind that the level of confusion at this level is much higher than at the higher level, and it is sometimes even more difficult to get back to the first point.

Also keep in mind that, unlike the higher level, you can not rely on conversations because students do not yet have the language resources to do anything other than simple exchanges (over time, of course). This means that you will be largely responsible for their continued conversation.

Finally, enjoy this level. Although in many ways it is the most difficult level to train, it can be one of the most satisfying. It will be incredible to see your learners transform from knowing nothing to knowing a few words to knowing a few sentences and structures and the ability to make basic conversations, and if they enjoy the initial exposure to the language and continue to work. They feel confident and inspired, so you help pave the way for their greater success

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Get updates and learn from the best

More To Explore

Meetups

Online Event: Every Tuesday

💢 We will drink a cup of coffee at Home and talk about our Cultures and what we have in common💢 This is an English

Meetups

Online Event: October 5

Meetups

Online Event: September 28