English Meetups

How to write an academic motivation letter

If you have ever wanted to study at a foreign university, you are probably familiar with the term motivation or SOP. Your cover letter will play a key role in the acceptance process, so that your acceptance or non-acceptance is directly related to having an attractive and acceptable cover letter or SOP. Writing a good cover letter may be a little difficult and stressful for you as well.

Share This Post

In this article, we are going to give you the basics about the structure of the cover letter as well as its do’s and don’ts.

SOP or personal motivation letter

SOP stands for Statement of Purpose, which is the letter of intent or statement of purpose. The SOP is, in fact, a letter you send to your destination university stating your motivation for applying to the university of your choice. Some students think that a cover letter is just a letter of introduction and can be easily written, but this is not the case, but the SOP must contain the information that the university needs to accept you.

Motivation letters usually start with the following sentences:

“I am honored to be accepted into your university’s science field. Because I have been interested in science for as long as I can remember. “Ever since I started school, I have realized my interest in science.”

Most letters now have a similar structure. By submitting and editing the motivation letters of friends or students of previous years, students present fake and undesirable writings as motivation letters. If you do not want your motivation letter to fall into this category and the university admissions department still remembers your motivation letter in the last hours of the day and even after reading hundreds of admission applications, you must provide a unique text. Text specific to you. Vince Gutra, a professor at the University of Northern Iowa, illustrates the importance of unique writing with an example of the motivation of a librarian. Gutra still remembers the motivation letter of “Susan”, the applicant for that field. “When I was 11, my great-aunt Gretchen passed away,” Susan wrote. But it left me with something that changed the course of my life: a library with about five thousand books. The best days of my life were spent arranging and reading these books. “Since then, I have decided to be a librarian.”

This example, in addition to Susan’s indescribable passion for reading books, shows her unique effort to take care of books. Susan, on the other hand, has written a motivational letter that is different from other motivational letters because it recalls her personal experience.

SOP structure

1. Beginning

In this section, you should focus the Admissions Committee on your educational background. Reassure them that you will be a successful student. Mention it if you got a good grade in the exams or were one of the top 5 students at the university. If you have poor grades in your resume, give your reason for your poor performance at that time, and if the field you are considering is different from the field you passed, explain its positive educational effects on your chosen field.

۲. Reasons for choosing a study destination

State the reason for choosing the field, university and country of destination. To do this, you need to get a lot of information about the field, especially in the same university. It is better to write a separate SOP for each university and this part should be written with careful attention to the conditions and facilities of the desired university. Do not bore the reader with a lot of flattery.

3. Related experiences

After explaining your academic background, it is time to explain your field-related experiences. Name all your related experiences. Talk about your undergraduate projects, write about internships, industry experience, workshops, publications, and other volunteer activities you have done to improve your academic level. Do not show anything, but analyze your experiences and present the useful things you have learned from it. The method of analyzing experiences is more important than the experiences themselves, so keep these in mind.

4. Targets

State your short-term and long-term goals. These goals should clearly explain the relationship between your acceptance and your future. At the same time, explain your future career to the decision-making body in the best way possible, depending on your personal goals and the field you are applying for.

5. Conclusion

As a conclusion, explain in a few lines about your suitability for studying in the desired field and university and the appropriateness of your academic position with your personality.

6. to appreciate Finally, thank the committee members for taking the time to review the motivation of your letter.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Get updates and learn from the best

More To Explore

Meetups

Online Event: Every Tuesday

💢 We will drink a cup of coffee at Home and talk about our Cultures and what we have in common💢 This is an English

Meetups

Online Event: October 5

Meetups

Online Event: September 28